Holiday season is nearly upon us, which means a busy calendar of events, twinkle lights and celebratory drinks. It’s also time to figure out what to get for both the inscrutable teenager and has-it-all retiree in your life—and everyone in between. Never fear: shopAGO’s Members Shopping Week, running from November 15-20, makes it easy with extended hours, special jewellery trunk shows and chocolate tastings daily. AGO Members receive a 20% discount on all regularly priced items*. A Holiday Gift Guide makes it easy to select gifts for everyone on your list.
Mother’s Day brunch Edit, May 9, 4 p.m. SOLD OUT
On Sunday, May 11, FRANK restaurant celebrates moms with a special Mother’s Day brunch buffet. The menu features an enormous selection of offerings including traditional breakfast fare, a seafood station, a carving station featuring roasted AAA tenderloin, a la carte [check accents] menus, kid-friendly options and more. Brunch will be served from 11 a.m to 3:30 p.m. at a cost of $75 per adult. Children ages 6-10 can dine for $20 and children under 5 eat for $12. Reservations are encouraged as space is limited. Please call 416-979-6688 or visit FRANK online for more information.
Mother’s Day tea at The Grange (members only)
Enjoy Mother’s Day with a deliciously modern version of a Victorian tea on May 11 (seatings at 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 and 3:15 p.m.). Members are invited to enjoy a wide variety of tea along with delicious scones, croissants, sandwiches, assorted desserts and a few surprises. Book tickets for this exclusive Mother’s Day event and spend the rest of the day exploring the Collection at the Gallery.
Mother’s Day card-making at AGO Family Sundays
Part of our Family Sunday programming on Sunday, May 4, includes card-making! Get ready to cut, paste and draw something special for Mom.
Mother’s Day gift ideas
Our shopAGO team has selected a range of items perfect for Mom. See some of them below and visit the shop’s special Mother’s Day display for more options.
Soapstones – 9
Duck Cake Plate Holder - 54
Swallow Wings Ring Holder - 19
Small Vine Silver Earrings - 175
Small Vine Silver/Gold Earrings - 195
On July 11, 2013, the who’s-who of the Toronto art scene gathered to celebrate the relaunch of AGO Art Rental & Sales. It was a celebration of both its new space within the AGO and its expanded collection of art.
On display were some of the best works in contemporary Canadian art from artists such as Jeannie Thib, Will Gorlitz, Chris Dorosz, Amanda Reeves and John Brown. Standing in the midst of their inspiring pieces, towering talents such as John Eisler (an AGO Art Rental & Sales artist) and Mohamed Bourouissa (the Gallery’s current artist-in-residence) mingled with art-world luminaries like Robert Birch of Birch Libralato Gallery> and Lydia Abbott from auction-gallery hybrid Consignor Canadian Fine Art.
Artist Valerie Magarian and husband
The event was also attended by clients and supporters of AGO Art Rental & Sales. Big names from the across Toronto’s business community came out to toast the grand opening, bringing the art and corporate worlds together to celebrate the relaunch.
The night featured a set by DJ Leo Love and catering from FRANK restaurant. Experts from AGO Art Rental & Sales were on hand to provide advice on how to start and build an enduring art collection and how to select art to transform any space.
Budding collectors took advantage of the gathering to talk to artists and taste-makers about new developments in the Toronto art scene. AGO Art Rental & Sales is on the leading edge of contemporary Canadian art, with works selected from all the major galleries and independent artists in Toronto.
The space is a lot like a miniature art fair, and on this night the convergence of the city’s best talent really gave it that special buzz. Thanks to everyone who joined us!
AGO Art Rental & Sales is located on the Gallery’s concourse level, open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays. Visit the website for more details and to browse some of the artworks available.
What is your shopAGO Holiday Wish List? Get pinning and let us know!
How to Enter the shopAGO Holiday Wish List Contest
1. Follow the Art Gallery of Ontario’s boards on Pinterest.
2. With your Pinterest account, create a new board called “shopAGO Holiday Wish List Board.” The board must include products from the shopAGO Gift Guide only.
3. Pin at least five of your favourite shopAGO gifts from our shopAGO 2012 Gift Guide board or browse the 2012 shopAGO Holiday Gift Guide online and pin from there.
4. Email the URL link of your shopAGO Holiday Wish List Board to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win one of three $200 shopAGO shopping spree gift cards.
All entries must be received between 12/6/12 and 12/17/12.
NO Purchase Necessary. Open to all residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) ages 18 years and older. Ends: 11:59 pm (est) 11/17/12. For complete details, see the Official Rules below. Read the rest of this entry »
For the second year in a row, shopAGO has put together a gift guide featuring fun, chic and artful products available in store and online. The aim of the guide is provide a wide variety of ideas for holiday shoppers. The guide is available in printed form in shopAGO and online starting today. Below, browse some highlights from the guide, including recommended gifts for gastronomes, design lovers, co-workers and kids of all ages, plus one gift that will fit anyone on your list.
On Dec. 19, 2012, shopAGO is hosting a Men’s Holiday Shopping Day to provide men with easy gift-giving solutions. From 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. retail experts will be on site to offer advice and free gift wrapping to all shoppers. Guests are invited to celebrate the festive season with artisanal beer and tequila shots on offer at the shop’s pop-up bar. A DJ will spin festive tunes from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
AGO members save 10 per cent on all purchases from shopAGO and shopAGOkids.
shopAGO’s extended holiday operating hours are in effect from Dec. 17 to 24, 2012:
MON/TUES/SAT/SUN: 10 a.m. — 6 p.m.
WED: 10 a.m. — 9 p.m.
THURS/FRI: 10 a.m. — 8 p.m.
DEC. 24: 9 a.m. — 3 p.m.
Join us Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012, at 6:30 p.m. for an hour of fascinating conversation about Judith Miller’s life with antiques and a glimpse into her latest book heralding design from the 1940s to 1960s.
Miller’s Mid-Century Modern is a comprehensive and critical guide to one of the most exciting periods in design history and one of the hottest design trends of the moment. This invaluable book covers all of the most iconic designs and designers emanating from the 1940s to 1960s and explores the most desirable furniture, ceramics, glass, metalware, interiors and textiles from the period.
ABOUT JUDITH MILLER
Judith Miller began collecting in the 1960s while a student at Edinburgh University in Scotland. She has since extended and reinforced her knowledge of antiques through international research, becoming one of the world’s leading experts in the field. In 1979 she co-founded the international best-seller Miller’s Antiques Price Guide and has since written more than 100 books, which are held in high regard by collectors and dealers. Miller appears regularly on TV and radio. She is an expert on the Antiques Roadshow and co-hosts the popular BBC TV series The House Detectives, ITV’s Antiques Trail, and UK Discovery Channel’s It’s Your Bid.
NOW: A Collaborative Project with Sean Martindale and Pascal Paquette as well as the ‘Gift Shop Gift Shop’ wrap up this Sunday, April 1st. Stop by the AGO’s Young Gallery and share your opinions on the comment wall and pass by GSGS to take home an art multiple as a gift or as an addition to your art collection.
Located at street level at the main entrance to shopAGO, the Gift Shop Gift Shop is a brilliantly coy and clever installation of a gift shop where you can purchase souvenirs of your visit…to the shopAGO gift shop! Featuring limited edition, original artworks — see shop staff for more information.
Need some holiday gift inspiration? Check out our top 10 holiday must-haves from ShopAGO. We’ve got a wide range of exciting gift options – you can either buy online or come visit us at the Art Gallery of Ontario, 317 Dundas Street West, Toronto M5T 1G4.
1. Brushed stainless steel watering can from Born in Sweden ($65) Stylish and minimal, yet at the same time striking, this innovative design typifies Born in Sweden’s approach; functional, practical and always aesthetically pleasing. It is made of 18-0 stainless steel with a flexible silicone hose. The hose has a built-in magnet that allows it to be attached to the can’s body when not in use. When watering your plants, simply hold the metal cylinder with one hand and the hose in the other. To start or stop the water flow, just move the metal cylinder up or down.
2. Stainless steel ‘Rocker’ garlic press from Joseph Joseph ($20) The stylish design of this garlic crusher makes the messy task of cooking with garlic much easier. By using downward pressure and a ‘rocking’ motion it crushes garlic cloves quickly and efficiently, forcing the pieces up through the mesh of holes. Once crushed, the garlic pieces are held in the shallow bowl, allowing them to be spooned or scraped easily into a pan. Additional cloves can also be crushed at this stage before emptying.
3. Handmade glass Fishscape fishbowl designed by Aruliden ($153) If the fish fan in your life isn’t into plastic plants and neon skulls, why not grab them this beautiful fishbowl? The contours of the bowl add an elegant twist to the classic fishbowl shape.
4. Alarm Dock for iPhone or iPod touch designed by Jonas Damon for Areaware ($50)
Remember those faux wood grain GE flip clocks that sat on every bedside table just a couple of decades ago? The Alarm Dock uses a nostalgic product language to meet the progressively thin and disappearing profiles of consumer electronics. It is at once a critique and an accommodation to new technology. Place an iPhone or iPod Touch running a flip clock app onto the dock, and see an iconic and meaningful form return to your nightstand, mantel, or shelf. Your iPhone or iPod’s dock connector can be pulled through it, allowing your device to recharge while docked.
The Art Museum is the finest art collection ever assembled between two covers. This revolutionary and unprecedented virtual art museum in a book features 992 oversized pages of nearly 2,700 works of art. It is the most comprehensive and visually spectacular history of world art ever published. Ten years in the making, this unique book was created with a global team of specialists in all fields of art – including museum curators and educators, who have collected together important works as they might be displayed in the ideal museum for the art lover.
6. Faux fur collar + cuffs designed by Heather Campbell ($65-$95) Superb faux fur lined with geometric printed silk inspired by artist Sonia Delaunay. Help the fashion-conscious lady in your life stay cosy without sacrificing style this winter. Available in red/black, blue/black, grey/black. AVAILABLE IN-STORE
7. ‘Vessel’ earrings designed by Nervous System ($40-$90) A fine network of vessels defines the surface of these semicircular earrings and serves as a hollow tube for carrying a loop of sterling silver chain. These 3d-printed nylon earrings hang from surgical steel ear wires.
Nervous System is a design studio that works at the intersection of science, art and technology. They create using a novel process that employs computer simulation to generate designs and digital fabrication to realize products. Drawing inspiration from natural phenomena, they write computer programs mimicking processes and patterns found in nature, using those programs to create unique jewelry.
8. All Natural Clementine Modelling Dough ($12.95) Strawberry, lemon and lime – fresh, natural scents in a soft, crumble-free, all natural dough for little hands. Coloured with tumeric, carmine and spinach. Three recyclable 4 oz containers. Lasts for more than 12 months when stored in our airtight containers. Ingredients: flour, water, salt, soybean oil, cream of tartar, natural glycerin, natural scent extracts, natural colours (tumeric, carmine and spinach), calcium propionate. Other art supplies (pictured) also available.
9. Mini speaki speakers by DOMA ($18.95)
He may be small in size, but there is nothing small about the sound performance of the MiNi SPEAKi. Simply charge him up with your computer and he’s ready to be your sound companion wherever you go! Ideal for iPods, MP3 Players, computers…anything with an audio jack.
10. POP phones designed by David Turpin for Native Union ($40)
Styled by French designer David Turpin, the POP handset combines classic style with a contemporary edge and is finished with a luxurious soft-touch texture.
The handset has been manufactured with a high quality speaker and microphone and can be used with all mobile phones when fitted with the correct adaptor (sold separately) and when fitted with a USB adaptor (sold separately) can be used for VOIP computer telephone calls (Skype, Google Talk…). This product is fitted with a 3.5mm jack (compatible with the iPhone)