If there’s one thing filmmaker Guillermo del Toro knows, it’s what it’s like to be a fan. The exhibition Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters, opening at the AGO on September 30, is born out of his own fandom for all things horror, sci-fi and Victorian gothic – and the amazingly detailed collection of objects he has amassed throughout his life.
We also know del Toro has his fair share of fans here in Toronto – that’s why we’re giving Torontonians the chance to meet this master of monsters face-to-face with a book signing of the exhibition catalogue or other del Toro-themed items on Wednesday, September 27 from 4 pm to 9 pm. You are going to love the catalogue, a gorgeous 144-page deep dive into the works showcased in the exhibition, del Toro’s artistic career, and the decades of work that inspire him, full of illustrations, images and essays. It was edited by Britt Salvesen, Matthew Welch and the AGO’s own Jim Shedden, with contributions by Guillermo del Toro, Keith McDonald, Roger Clark and Paul Koudounaris. Remember to keep your receipt!
- Capacity is limited so arrive early to ensure you get your chance to meet Guillermo del Toro
- You can begin lining up outside of the AGO at 9 am
- Buy your catalogue, or any Guillermo del Toro-themed item, in advance at shopAGO, either online or in person. shopAGO will be open at 9 am on September 27
- You can also bring any item purchased from our booth at Fan Expo this past weekend
- Keep your receipt – you will need to show proof of purchase either from the AGO or Fan Expo
- Those who arrive with the book or Guillermo del Toro-themed item and receipt can go directly into the book signing line at 9 am to avoid the purchase lineup
- Costumes are welcome and encouraged so long as they do not pose a risk to the art in the Gallery. No large objects (or swords!)
- To avoid long queues at Coat Check, please don’t bring backpacks
Still have questions? Here are some answers!
- Why is the lineup starting so early?
We know that Guillermo del Toro has a very dedicated fan base, so we are expecting high demand for the event. We want to ensure that those who would like to be among the first to meet him get a chance to line up for this opportunity as early as possible. But it is entirely up to you to decide when to arrive at the AGO for the book signing!
- Do I have to buy the catalogue to attend? Why do I need a receipt?
We need proof you have made a purchase at shopAGO (which will be open at 9 am on September 27) or at this past weekend’s Fan Expo event, but you don’t need to buy the catalogue specifically. There will be items available for purchase at various price points, so there’s no financial barrier to stop anyone from coming down!
- Can I bring something from home to get signed too? / Will he sign multiple items?
You must have at least one item purchased at shopAGO, but it will be up to del Toro himself to decide how many items are signed. But please note: we will keep the line moving as quickly as possible to ensure as many visitors get to meet this renowned filmmaker.
- Can I take a photo with him?
Photo opportunities are likely, but not guaranteed. We want you to be able to have a photographic memento, but keep in mind we will need to keep the line moving as quickly as possible.
- Are tickets required for this event?
No, this is a public and free event. AGO Free Wednesday Nights starts early at 4 pm that day in celebration of the Guillermo del Toro book signing event.
- I am an AGO Member. Are there special offers for this event?
Members receive 10% discount at shopAGO, and the Members’ Preview of Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters takes place from September 27 to 29. Be sure to book your free tickets online and see the exhibition first before it opens to the public!
- When can I purchase my item?
The catalogue is in stock at shopAGO, and other At Home with Monsters merchandise will be available after September 12. shopAGO will also open early at 9 am on the date of the book signing (September 27).
Are you an AGOinsider yet? If not, sign up to have stories like these delivered straight to your inbox every week.
Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters supporters: