At First Thursday, you come for the party and stay for the art—every month features a unique and mind-blowing lineup of contemporary artists to immerse, stun, challenge and energize AGO visitors. But what’s on hand to make sure party-goers are feeling nourished and fuelled to keep up with the action? Specialized gourmet menus of snacks and drinks, of course!
Anyone who’s been to a First Thursday knows that a trip through the Gallery isn’t complete without stopping in the Joey & Toby Tanenbaum Sculpture Atrium, just on the opposite side of Walker Court after you enter through the main doors. Under the lights, you’ll find a bar and food vendors ready to keep the nosh coming all night. Can’t wait? Check out the food stations set up at the base of the front staircase to catch you as you arrive.
Here’s a sample of the food our chefs have whipped up at recent Night Markets – guaranteed to whet your appetite before the next First Thursday on May 4, themed Gender Trouble, to celebrate Georgia O’Keeffe.
- Fried chicken bao: Black charcoal buns, crispy fried chicken, Japanese BBQ sauce, spicy Kewpie mayo or KFC: Korean Fried Cauliflower with gochujang sauce (no bun)
- Tourtière hand pies and gravy
- Pork belly, pineapple, yuzu koshu skewer
- Calamari tempura, black garlic aioli, smoky chili oil with sweet potato tempura, aioli, and smoky chili oil
- Fried okra, coconut curry, and sweet potato latke (gluten-free and dairy-free)
- Yaki onigiri: Grilled rice ball, stuffed with cheese, topped with Ponzu soy butter sauce
- Korean rice cake skewers with fish cakes, glazed in sweet and spicy Korean sauce
- Japchae noodle with roasted sweet potato, pickled mustard greens and kimchi
- Struffoli: mini honey-glazed Italian doughnuts, sprinkles and Nutella.
- Baked muffuletta sandwich
- Lettuce wraps with fried pork belly, Parmesan vinaigrette, egg yolk or crispy tofu, curry sriracha sauce, bean sprouts cilantro
- Porchetta sandwich with fontina, orange and fig compote
- Eggplant Parmesan sandwich with basil aioli and hot peppers
- Tacos with rending beef, coconut crema, pickled onion and cucumber, or gochujang cauliflower with crispy shallots, and pickled daikon
First Thursday Partners: