Unpredictable weather, restless kids and pressure to find enough fun for a whole week – it’s that time of year again, but not to worry! We’re presenting a program of drop-in activities for families for March Break 2015, and this year’s theme is Sampling & Scratching, inspired by our exhibition Jean-Michel Basquiat: Now’s the Time. There will be beat-boxing and break-dancing, rope-skipping and story-telling, all included with general admission (and with a discounted Family Pass*)! You can learn more about those activities here, but we also wanted to suggest some other ways to explore the Gallery with kids this March Break. And so, from Education Programs assistant Alexandra Cherry, here are 13 “off the wall” things you can do at the AGO from March 14-22, :
(1) Find the “Barnacle staircase” and enjoy a view of the city!
(2) Ride the mirrored elevator between the Concourse and Level 2. (Kids love it.)
(3) Enjoy tropical views in Gallery #127 – and write a postcard** to a friend.
(4) Write all over the wall! (Visit the giant chalkboard in the Basquiat Culture Jam Lounge on Level 2.)
(5) Be an artist! Make your own mini-Henry Moore sculpture in the Henry Moore Sculpture Centre using Model Magic from the Kids Activity Bag**.
(6) Try to figure out how many cows there are in Kathleen Munn’s Untitled (Cows on a Hillside) in the Canadian Salon, Gallery #232.
(7) Find the secret loft space. (Hint: it’s close to the Canadian Salon on Level 2.)
(8) Play dress up and create a portrait of your pet in the Kids’ Gallery.
(9) Perfect your Double Dutch skills and learn some beat-boxing basics in Walker Court.
(10) Become an art critic! Go on a family-friendly tour and get the insider’s scoop on select works from our collection.
(11) Love 3-D printing? Discover the 3-D printer from the 1800s in Idea Lab (Thomson Collection of European Art, Level 1).
(12) Build a big blue fort in Galleria Italia!
(13) Relax and enjoy a gelato in Galleria Italia.
* From March 14-22, save $10 off a Family Pass (pay $39 for general admission for two adults and as many as five youths or $52.50 to bring the whole crew to Jean-Michel Basquiat: Now’s the Time).
**Get your postcard, model magic and other fun in the Kids Activity Bags. Available while quantities last.