In this video, executive chef Anne Yarymowich shows how to make the Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits served alongside Nova Scotia Clam Chowder on FRANK’s Winterlicious lunch and dinner menus.
Buttermilk Bacon Biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup cooked bacon bits, drained of fat
1 cup buttermilk
For the bacon:
- Use good quality double smoked slab bacon. About 8 ounces raw will yield a half cup cooked. If you are using a commercial sliced bacon your yield will be much less. Cut into quarter-inch cubes.
- Render in a pan on medium low heat until most of the fat is rendered out but the bacon still has a bit of chew. Remove from fat and drain well on paper towel. Set aside to cool.
For the biscuit dough:
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk together until well blended.
- Cut in the cold butter using a cheese grater. Work the butter into the flour mix with your fingers, until well incorporated.
- Add in the cooked cooled bacon.
- Add in the buttermilk all at once and mix just until liquid is incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board. Roll out to 1 inch thickness.
- Cut into 2×2-inch squares or with 2-inch round cutter.
- Place on parchment lined tray.
- Bake at 375 F for 12 minutes, turning the tray once, halfway through the baking time.
- Serve immediately
Video by Danny Winchester/AGO.
Art. Food. Talk. Find out more about FRANK, including its hours, menus and special events and see photos of its modern, inviting setting.